This time, Penguicon is providing plenty of food and drinks free of charge, and making it a party!
A "SMOS Dinner" is one way Penguicon builds community all year round.
SMOS stands for "Secret Masters Of SMOS".
Come one and all, whether to play board and card games, use the shop, register for Penguicon, or just to talk about all things geeky.
When: Thu Jan 5 6pm – 11pm (EST)
Where: i3Detroit, 1481 Wordsworth, Ferndale, MI
Host: Matt Arnold
Feel free to let us know you're coming on the list or on through facebook event page or just show up we'll be glad to see you.
Guests are welcome(not required) to bring food and games to share
Except the ones who aren't reading.
I have the pleasure to announce
planning meetings this Sunday 11/13/11
Programming Meeting 1PM Sunday 11/13/11,
ConCom Meeting will begin at 2PM also Sunday 11/13
These meetings will be held at the Dearborn Hyatt Regency.
Anyway this cake is great!
Look at me: still copy and pasting
When there's planning to do!
When i look out there,
It makes me glad i work on Penguicon with you.
GLaDOS fortune of the day:
This was a triumph!
I'm making a note here:
some snippets copied and modified from http://www.lyricstime.com/
If you are interested, please send Steve a note nominating yourself, and then attend our next regular Penguicon Board meeting so that they Board can meet with you and vote for a ConChair. Also, please send Steve (SteveGutterman <at> gmail.com) an e-mail saying that you would like to nominate yourself, or let Steve know if you have any questions.
The next Board meeting will be September 10th, 2011. Watch this list for the announcement of the meeting time and agenda.
ALSO! - The Penguicon Board also has an opening for a new member for the Penguicon Board of Directors.
Be one of the seven senior Penguins and set policy, organize the business side of Penguicon, and ensure the long-term success of Penguicon. Again, if you would like to nominate yourself for this position, please send an e-mail to SteveGutterman <at> gmail.com and let Steve know of you interest, then attend the next Penguicon Board meeting on Saturday, September 10th, 2011.
The Board meeting will be held at Steve Gutterman's house, on Saturday, Sep. 10th, 2011 at 3:00 PM:
Where: Hyatt Regency Dearborn, hospitality suite
600 Town Center Drive
Dearborn, MI 48126
Come on out, and help us get Penguicon 2012 up and officially rolling! This is the meeting to attend if you have an interest in joining our Penguicon organizational community for 2012!Up
Penguicon 2012 is alive! We are working diligently behind the scenes - right now - shoving many loaves of awesome into our penguin-oven of win.
Here are some key points detailing our present activity:
- Revamping the website.
- We're very excited to be moving to a new CMS this year - and with that, we'll have a brand-spanking-new design. We hope to roll penguicon.org into the future within the next couple weeks.
- Scheduling the Hand-off/wrap-up meeting!
- The 2012 conchair has been questioned by a huge number of people on when this will occur - do not panic, we have not forgotten - but he does not have a solid date for you yet. The respective schedules of your future ConCom members have had difficulty coalescing into consensus, and it looks like we may all by busy until mid-June. Tentatively mark your calendars for some time around June 18. Do not carve it in stone!
Trevor(the 2012 conchair) looks forward to providing you with many blog updates to come! Right now, however, it's back to taping bricks on the gas pedal that drives this Party Bus.
Fortune of the day:
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live. (taken from slashdot.org, 5/14/2011)
Souvenir Book. (7.2 M)
Schedule Book. (400 K)
Schedule Brochure. (146 KB)
Here are the books again, bookleted into printer's spreads-- meaning the pages are out of order when you view them on the screen, but if you print them out and collate them like a magazine, the pages will be in order.
Souvenir Book. (3.88 M)
Schedule Book. (523 K)
In another smooth move, if you have friends who want to see Frontalot but might not want to spend the weekend at Penguicon, they will be able to purchase a Friday-only pass for $20. $20! That's the price of a cheap concert, right there, and it comes with FREE BEER on Friday, if they want to come back!
And really, we want them to come back and experience Liquid Nitrogen ice cream, Brandon Sanderson, hardware hacking, games, the dealer room, and the Con Suite, don't we?
Please remember to bring cans of food for the Gleaner's Food Drive!
If you will be coming to the show (8PM Thursday, Troy Marriott), PLEASE RSVP HERE. Remember that it is a perk we are providing to people coming to Penguicon! Thank our Con chair, Limey, when you see him - leg-humping is perfectly acceptable.
Some of his original songs:
"O.G. - Original Gamer"
"Hassle: The Dorkening"
"Indier than Thou"
"Shame of the Otaku"
"Your Friend Wil" (yes, of the Wheaton kind)
"First World Problem"
"The Council of Loathing"
This year we will be doing this as a charity raising event. We are asking that the performers donate their tips they receive from the audience. All money collected will given to Affirmations, a wonderful LGBT center in Ferndale, MI. Also, donations of clothing will be accepted for use during the show. Any clothing left over will be also donated to Affirmations. www.goaffirmations.org
Prior to the show there will also be a workshop starting at 8pm where there will people to help you get ready for the show.
These are a few things that you should have in preparation for the show:
1. 2 or 3 songs that you may want to perform. Please bring these on a CD and pre-edited to be within 3 to 5 minutes. (I suggest so many just in case someone else picks the same song as you or if we can you may get to perform twice.)
2. 1 or 2 outfits that you would feel comfortable enough to perform in. Accessories to help finish off your outfit. (We have been collecting donation clothes but the supply of those are limited.)
Below are some things that will be on hand but if you wanted to bring your own that would be greatly appreciated as well.
1. A hairstyle that will reflect your transformation. (Women something that will look masculine when done. Men a wig or a way to do your natural hair that will look feminine.)
2. A crème based foundation that matches your natural skin tone.
3. A powder that matches your natural skin tone.
4. A powder that is 2 to 3 shades darker than your natural skin tine.
5. A powder that is 2 to 3 shades lighter than your natural skin tone.
6. White eye shadow
7. Eyeliner (Men a color that will compliment your eye shadow choices and women a color that will compliment your hair as it can be used as facial hair)
8. A medium sized blush brush and a pressed powder puff.
Things that are specific for the woman to man transformation:
1. 2 Ace bandages of 4” width or greater. If you have a compression vest or something else that will help to bind down your breasts.
2. Crepe hair and spirit gum. There will be some of this available so if you can’t find it don’t fear.
Things that are specific for the man to woman transformation:
1. A dark eye shadow and a contrasting lighter colored eye shadow.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.
=== Content courtesy of Amy Zrnich ===
I'd like to avoid repeat recipients if possible, so that it isn't "Oh, ACME only delivers to that group." That's at an individual level. It certainly makes sense for the Guests of Honor to get something, but "So & so gets something every year" is what I am concerned about.
1. Deliveries should be appreciated by or humorous to the recipient. A mild zing is fine, an outright insult is not.
2. Items delivered should be small to ease packaging and transport.
3. Items should be inexpensive, so that all the deliveries combined don't get out of hand.
4. It's best if the delivery is kept a surprise as much as possible. But the delivery ox might need some guidance to the recipient.
5. ACME is not Santa Claus. Please do not suggest items for yourself. It'd spoil the surprise. Exception: you're using the delivery as a gag yourself.
6. If there's something you'd like from ME, go ahead and ask me. Not promising it'd work out, but it won't violate #5.
Numbers 2 and 3 are not an issue if I don't have to purchase and haul the item. I would need to know the size to have packaging ready.
Who can be a recipient? ANYONE who will be there. Jane or Joe Attendee. It doesn't have to be a GoH or a member of con staff. As mentioned above, it would be best to avoid suggesting things for those who had deliveries last year, to spread things out. But if something is just too good not to do, well, they aren't immune either.
On with the poll!